COVID-19 and The Island Inn (4/18/21)
To all our Island Inn friends,
At the end of the 2020 season, we all breathed a collective sigh of relief that we made it through the season without a single case of COVID-19 amongst our guests, staff or Island residents. This was the result of the planning and dedication of each member of our staff and that of the Plantation officials, business owners and residents. Of course, a major part of this success was the amazing support and cooperation of every person who stayed with us or visited the Island. For that, we thank each of you!
None of us could have imagined both the heartbreaking impact of the pandemic nor the stunning progress we’ve made in the treatment and prevention of new infections. We have come so far, but it’s clear that we have to use what we’ve learned over the last year to continue to be vigilant and safe.
Since Maine CDC guidance is constantly changing, our planning also has to be flexible. Below is our current plan:
As in 2020 the Inn will:
- Comply completely with the Maine CDC COVID-19 Prevention Checklist (last updated on 3/12/21)
- Require all staff to be fully masked at all times, while guests are required to be masked in all common areas, including the Dining Room. The 6-foot social distancing guideline among unrelated parties should be observed whenever possible.
- Dramatically reduce Dining Room seating to allow for social distancing
- Eliminate all indoor seating in the Barnacle Café, replaced by covered outdoor seating
- Provide hand sanitizing units at all entrances, common areas and public space bathrooms
- Conduct daily health assessments with all non-vaccinated staff, including symptom reporting and checks of blood oxygen levels, pulse rates and temperature
- Use a contact-minimized check-in process that reduces congestion and waiting
- Eliminate the breakfast buffet, replacing it with a served breakfast with the same menu choices as the traditional buffet
- Provide fresh towels upon request for multi-night stays, therefore minimizing contact with hotel housekeeping staff
- Use and document the completion of a 33-item enhanced sanitization checklist for each guestroom at each turnover
- Collect contact tracing information from non-guest parties in the Dining Room
- Maintain Plexiglas barriers at the Front Desk and the Barnacle Café
Enhanced Measures in 2021:
- Starting 5/1/21, the Inn will accept reservations from all states, unless the Maine CDC has identified them as having extraordinarily high infection rates. This differs from 2020 when reservations could be accepted only from select states identified as being safe by the CDC.
- Anyone making reservations from States singled out by the CDC must comply with the quarantine and testing requirements as described in the latest Maine Travel Protocols
- Working daily to try to ensure that all of our staff are vaccinated and tested prior to their arrival on the Island, including the resources to do on site rapid-testing
- Constructing a screened deck adjacent to the Dining Room for an enhanced ventilation option
- Improving weatherproofing and comfort of the Barnacle Café’s outdoor seating option
- Cooperating and supporting the Monhegan COVID-19 Task Force in keeping the Island residents safe
These and other adaptations that we’re making, are all designed to help each of our guests to relax and safely enjoy all that the Inn and Monhegan have to offer. Please know that we will do everything in our power to keep our staff and guests safe throughout your visit while maintaining our standards for comfort and Island-style hospitality.
We can’t wait to welcome you to Monhegan as we all seek some normalcy and peace in these extraordinarily difficult times. Be safe, support each other and help us all move Maine forward.
Michael Brassard & Jaye Morency