COVID-19 and The Island Inn (5/19/21)
To all our Island Inn friends,
At the end of the 2020 season, we all breathed a collective sigh of relief that we made it through the season without a single case of COVID-19 amongst our guests, staff or Island residents. This was the result of the planning and dedication of each member of our staff and that of the Plantation officials, business owners and residents. Of course, a major part of this success was the amazing support and cooperation of every person who stayed with us or visited the Island. For that, we thank each of you!
None of us could have imagined both the heartbreaking impact of the pandemic nor the stunning progress we’ve made in the treatment and prevention of new infections. We have come so far, but it’s clear that we have to use what we’ve learned over the last year to continue to be vigilant and safe.
Since Maine CDC guidance is constantly changing, our planning also has to be flexible. Below is our current plan as of May 18, 2021.
- Comply completely with the Maine CDC COVID-19 Prevention Checklist (last updated on 5/14/21) which is now following the Federal CDC Guidelines
- Support the Monhegan COVID-19 Task Force in keeping the Island residents safe
- Accept reservations from all states, unless the Maine CDC has identified them as having extraordinarily high infection rates. This differs from 2020 when reservations could be accepted only from select states identified as being safe by the CDC.
- Require that anyone making reservations from States singled out by the CDC must comply with the quarantine and testing requirements as described in the latest Maine Travel Protocols
- Require all staff who are not fully vaccinated to be masked at all times. Please note that many staff members who are fully vaccinated will still be masked out of an abundance of caution or personal choice.
- Provide hand sanitizing units at all entrances, common areas and public space bathrooms
- All guests who are not fully vaccinated must be masked in all public spaces in the hotel, including the Dining Room
- Conduct daily health assessments with all staff who are not fully vaccinated.
- Use a contact-minimized check-in process that reduces congestion and waiting
- Provide fresh towels upon request for multi-night stays, therefore minimizing contact with hotel housekeeping staff
- Shared bath accommodations will be shared by just 2 rooms with enhanced sanitization 3 times a day
- Use and document the completion of a 33-item enhanced sanitization checklist for each guestroom at each turnover
- Collect contact tracing information from non-guest parties in the Dining Room
- Maintain Plexiglas barriers at the Front Desk and the Barnacle Café
- Eliminate indoor seating in the Barnacle Café, replaced by covered outdoor seating with improved weatherproofing and comfort
- Construct a screened deck adjacent to the Dining Room for an enhanced ventilation option
These, and other adaptations that we’re making, are all designed to help each of our guests to relax and safely enjoy all that the Inn and Monhegan have to offer. Please know that we will do everything in our power to keep our staff and guests safe throughout your visit while maintaining our standards for comfort and Island-style hospitality.
We can’t wait to welcome you to Monhegan as we all seek some normalcy and peace in these extraordinarily difficult times. Be safe, support each other and help us all move Maine forward.
Michael Brassard & Jaye Morency